Churros 4 Life
M-I-C, see you real soon, K-E-Y, why? Because we love churros! I don’t know about you but growing up near Orlando, Florida, the scent of cinnamon and sugar makes me think of one thing- the delicious churros at Disney World. Now that I’m living on the west coast, I use to get them at Disneyland, until I was recently diagnosed with severe food allergies. My favorite childhood treat was going to be just a fond memory, until,...I decided to try some recipes and develop my own that was #AllergyFriendly!
After a week, testing different flour combinations, I think I nailed it! And I know what you are thinking, you need butter, pastry flour, and eggs to make a pâte à choux.
Not for this recipe. Traditionally a pâte à choux, is a light pastry dough that contains only butter, water, flour and eggs. Instead of a raising agent, it employs high moisture content to create steam during cooking to puff the pastry.
Well this was tricky, could I use a flax egg or egg replacer? Then it hit me,...aquafaba!
What You’ll Need:
1 c. Water, room temperature
1/4 c. Butter Alternative
3 TBSP Coconut Sugar
1/2 tsp Xantham Gum
2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 Cup Aquafaba – (the Liquid Drained from a Can of Garbanzo Beans)
1/4 c. Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
1/4 c. Tapioca Flour
1/4 c. Coconut Flour
1/4 c. Almond Flour, finely ground
1/4 c Coconut Sugar
1 TBSP Cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1. In a medium saucepan, add Water, Butter Alternative, Coconut Sugar, Vanilla & Salt – Whisk to combine. Bring to a slow rolling boil. Remove from heat.
2. In a small bowl, combine flours & Xantham Gum. Mix thoroughly.
3. Add Flours to saucepan, gradually.
Stir with a Spatula until mixture starts to look like the consistency of peanut butter.
4. Add Aquafaba to mixture until well incorporated & smooth (no lumps). Let cool 15-20 min.
5. After batter is cooled, Scoop Churro Batter into your disposable Piping Bag fitted with a large 1B Star Tip.
6. Remove drawer from Air fryer and begin piping 6” churros directly onto the bottom of the air fryer leaving an inch between each.
7. Place the drawer back in the air fryer. Cook on 380 for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
8. While the churros are in the air fryer, prepare the sugar topping in a small container with a lid. Combine the coconut sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon. Mix well.
9. Once churros are cooked, remove them and place them into the sugar coating mixture. Close the container with the lid and shake to coat the churros. I recommend doing 3-4 at a time.
10. Churros are best served warm and with a chocolate dipping sauce. In a microwave proof glass bowl, combine 2 TBSP of chocolate chips, 1/2 TBSP of Coconut Oil, a pinch of cinnamon-sugar mixture. Microwave for 30 sec increments til completely melted.
If you make this recipe, remember to post it to social media and tag @cardiocouture.